Theobromine from Cacao
Caffeine and Theobromine are similar but have different effects on our bodies. Caffeine causes a sharp spike in energy levels but tends to result in a crash. Theobromine on the other hand causes a gradual increase in energy and positively influences mood without any sudden crashes.
What is theobromine?
Both caffeine and theobromine come from the xanthine family. Theobromine is a xanthine alkaloid. Being an alkaloid is what gives cacao its naturally bitter flavor. Theobromine is an isomer of theophylline, another xanthine that aids in respiratory health and combating conditions like asthma and bronchitis, it also acts as an anti inflammatory and improves heart and lung health. Theobromine has similar effects and benefits on the body.
Have you ever noticed that the darker the chocolate the more bitter the taste? That's due to the higher amounts of theobromine!
Read more about the chemistry of theobromine here.
Where is theobromine found?
Across the globe, you'll find theobromine. However, interestingly enough a lot of plants that contain it are found in Latin America. Theobromine is found in highest concentrations in the cacao fruit. However is also present in yerba mate, the kola leaf, and the guaraná berry, all of which are found across South America. It is also found in small amounts in the tea leaf.
Milk chocolate and chocolate candy have trace amounts, but most of it has been lost through processing. Dark Chocolate contains much more, and raw cacao contains the most.
Theobromine has a slew of potential benefits on the body making it an amazing part of your diet!
- As the more chill cousin of caffeine, theobromine is a mild stimulant and gives you a lift that lasts longer and lets you down softer. You can get the improved energy and focus without the jitters.
- Theobromine also is believed to be good for respiratory health. Studies suggest it may help reduce asthma symptoms, cough, and improve lung health.
- It may improve the health of teeth.
- It is known to improve heart health by reducing high blood pressure.
- Improves brain function by increasing healthy blood flow to the brain.
- It is also known to have anti inflammatory effects.
Theobromine and caffeine
Caffeine is useful for athletes and those who utilize it as a stimulus for performance. In general caffeine is highly consumed and some studies suggest modern consumption behaviors are causing health problems and disrupting sleep. For those seeking an alternative to caffeine, they can call up its cousin theobromine! Theobromine gives consumers the benefits they are looking for without the drawbacks of caffeine!